How do spreadsheets and business finances make your life better? Think I’m full of it? Today we’re talking self-employed and freelancer business finances 101.
Treating your self-employed work and offerings as a business will bring more ease, structure, and stability into your life as a whole.
Getting good at handling your business finances, and setting up the systems you need is self-care for your work, supporting you and nurturing you and your life, rather than draining you.
Have a question you want answered on the podcast? Email your host Eowyn your Q in text or audio form: firstname.lastname@example.org I can’t wait to hear from you!How can we even
This week on the Creatives Do Money Podcast, Episode #31
We’re going to touch on:
- Why is it important to put certain systems in place for yourself when you’re self-employed
- The “I want that” element of getting good with business finances that is rarely discussed.
- The most important thing to remember about business finances
Here are the simple but key habits and systems to put in place too set your creative self-employed business up for success:
- Separate business and personal finances
- why it’s important and will make life easier in the end
- Have a clear tailored-for-you Chart of Accounts, aka Business Finances Blueprint
- what does that even mean, why you should care, and what is the basic structure of your Chart of Accounts
- Stay up to date
- how exactly this makes all the difference in your work as a whole
- Prepare for taxes year round
- what to think about and how exactly to do it
- Savings in your business
- take care of your future self
- Paying yourself
- why it’s so impactful to actually do this, and do it intentionally
- The identity of a business owner
- as a recent guest put it “it’s time for radically kind people to get comfortable with power and money.” So, what if you could redefine ‘business owner’ for yourself, in a way that fits you, and invites you to take the financial management of your business and life seriously?
Lastly, I share a couple tips of how to get cracking with implementing (or updating) these systems for yourself
Resources / Links
Connect with me further
Please share, subscribe, and review
Thank you for listening to this episode of Creatives Do Money Podcast!! If you enjoyed this episode or know someone working to get better with money on a creative’s variable income, please share, subscribe and review on Apple Podcasts or Google Play Music so more folks can find the show and enjoy it too.
✍️ Take the Listener Survey
Creatives Do Money Together
Money work can take grit, and we’re in it for the long haul. Join us in the Plum Tree Community for companionship, accountability, and education around personal finance as a self-employed creative.
Theme Music and Podcast Production
Michael Atkinson: www.michael-p-atkinson.com
On the Creatives Do Money podcast, we talk a lot about money, but I am not a financial advisor or expert, and am not offering financial advice. I share from my own personal experience, and that of my clients and community. All content shared on this podcast is provided for entertainment, education, and information purposes only, and the podcast is intended as a self-help tool.
For my full disclaimer covering all content on this website, and the podcast, please read here.